It is important that you seek immediate medical attention if you are injured in a motor vehicle accident. Once all relevant emergency personnel has been called (i.e, police, EMS, and/or fire), obtain the following information:
- The full names, addresses, phone numbers, insurance information, drivers’ license numbers, and license plate numbers of all of the drivers and vehicles involved.
- If a driver does not own the car he or she is driving, also get the name, address, phone number, and insurance information of the owner of the vehicle.
- The full names, addresses, and phone numbers of any passengers in all of the vehicles, as well as any other witnesses to the accident.
- If the police respond to the scene, obtain the officers’ names and badge numbers and the accident report number.
- Take pictures of the damage to the vehicles involved and the scene of the accident. Later, also take pictures of your injuries.